Source: ITS Midwest - April 8, 2013
Title: Electrical Engineer (Communications)
Location: Chicago, IL, US
Reference Number (Jacobs Careers): IRC280910
Details: See "how to apply")
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Engineer responsible for designing communications networks that support Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), traffic signal systems, and other transportation facilities. Work may also include other technology aspects such as security and telecommunications networks.
Typical work tasks include:
- Analyzing user and technical requirements
- Designing data-communications networks to support the requirements
- Insuring that the proposed design complies with ANSI standards, local codes, and project criteria.
- Drafting ITS and traffic signal construction plans using MicroStation software
- Writing engineering specifications and special provisions
- Developing test plans and system-integration procedures
- Overseeing installation activities
- Working with clients to establish Functional Requirements and Concepts of Operation.
- Performing other professional services to support project demands of the office
- Provisioning network equipment
Training and Experience:
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering required, Major: Electrical Engineering (preferred) or Civil Engineering
- 4+ years related experience. ITS Experience preferred.
- Knowledge of wireline and wireless networks required
- Experience with CADD software, and HCS Visio, Microsoft Office preferred
- Experience with ITS or transportation systems desired
- Knowledge of modern data-communications networking standards associated with Ethernet, wireless, and serial communications.
- Experience designing Fiber Optic Networks
- Experience with RF propagation, antennas and feedlines, and link profiling desired.
- Knowledge of power distribution, low voltage, desired.
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong time management and attention to detail
- Willingness to train in OSHA, CPR, First Aid and other Jacobs safety training classes
Other Essential Functions:
Candidate should have passed FE exam and be willing to obtain Illinois PE license within two years of employment. Position is primarily based in an office environment. Some work related travel, outdoor field integration and oversight of ITS deployments will be required. Candidate should be eager to learn, willing to take on new tasks, interact with clients, and grow professionally with Jacobs.
- Go to the Jacobs Engineering Careers website, and
- type IRC280910 in the keywords field.
- The job will be listed with an "Apply Now" link and a link to the reference number above.
- Click on the Apply now icon or on the link with the reference number to proceed.
Never miss an important update:
Subscribe to the ITS Midwest RSS feed